Soapstone is a natural stone material made up of magnesite, talc and minerals. Also known as steatite, soapstone is formed when time, pressure and heat combine these elements to make a natural stone. Soapstone countertops have become more popular in recent years thanks to their rugged beauty. Atlantic Custom Granite & Marble can help you create custom soapstone countertops for your home.
What Are the Benefits and Considerations of Using Soapstone?
Soapstone countertops have several desirable characteristics that make them valuable additions to a home:
- Durability: Soapstone absorbs heat and resists heat damage, so you can place a hot pot or curling iron on your soapstone counter without worrying about harming it. It is also resistant to alkaline and acid damage, as well as scarring and etching. Since soapstone is softer than granite, it is not as brittle, and any damage it might happen to suffer over time can usually be sanded out.
- A nonporous surface: The density of soapstone means it doesn’t have pores for bacteria and stains to seep in, offering peace of mind in the kitchen and making cleanup easy.
- Natural beauty: Soapstone is often dark grey, green or black, sometimes with veins of lighter quartz. This variation can create a striking and dramatic countertop, especially if the rest of your kitchen is light-colored.
Maintaining soapstone will require regular oiling or waxing every year or two. Since this stone is not as hard as granite or quartzite, you will want to avoid cutting directly on your counters.
Most varieties of traditional soapstone are generally soft and will scratch. Scratches
are easily rubbed out and made invisible with a little soapstone wax on a paper towel
to moisten the dry scratch. Occasionally, deep scratches can be touched up with fine-grit sandpaper.
**No soapstone countertop acquires wear that makes it look tired or ragged. Keep the heavy garage tools in the garage and the kitchen gear in the kitchen - you’re good to go! (ranks 2.5 to 5.0 on the Moh’s hardness scale)
- A classic look that will never go out of style
- Heat Resistant
- Easy to maintain - Soapstone wax application every year or two
- Satin or leathered finish - soapstone is too soft to have a glossy finish
- Will Scratch but never an issue for soapstone customers that admire
- Once a soapstone lover, always a soapstone lover
Crafting Quality and Building Life-Long Customers Since 2002
We stock Soapstone and have unlimited varieties to choose from at our importing partners. Samples are available and if you decide that soapstone counters are not for you we have granite options that are similar in appearance. Cost ranges from $80 to $100+ depending on the variety.
Wax/Oil Sealing Application is Recommended:
Eventually, cooking oils will spot the stone surface turning them nearly black. This is especially important for softer varieties. For this reason, kitchen soapstone counters are recommended to be sealed with a soapstone wax/oil to effectively seal off the surface and keep counters water-tight and food-safe.
(You will read that soapstone is impenetrable but the very surface is penetrated and hence why oil cannot be 100% removed and invisible like would be the case for a sealed granite or glass surface.) After Atlantic installs soapstone the wax/oil sealer is applied.
Our Soapstone Selection and Counter Installation Process
Atlantic Custom Granite & Marble has a process to ensure you’re thrilled with your countertops. It all starts with a visit to our showroom to take a look at our stone inventory. Our professional team gets to know your needs and works with you to help you choose the right countertop material and find a slab you love.
Our installation experts use the latest measuring and imaging tools to ensure the perfect cut for your countertops. We create a template and a countertop plan for you to review so you can be sure your counter will fit and perform just the way you want.
During the fabrication phase, we use precision machinery to create custom countertops for you. All our installers are in-house technicians with extensive training, and we always stand by our work. Once we finish production and install your new soapstone countertops, you'll have the peace of mind that comes with a full workmanship warranty.
View Our Inspiration Page and Stone Gallery for Ideas
Atlantic Custom Granite & Marble has an extensive inventory of soapstone, and we can secure an even larger range from our importing partners. To get a taste of what’s possible, visit our inspiration gallery to take a look at our available slabs and some completed projects.
Work With York's Expert Soapstone Countertop Installer
The best way to see whether these counters are right for you is to get your hands on some soapstone at a gallery near you. Schedule an appointment to visit our showroom in York, Pennsylvania, to see what we have available. You’ll find a broad range of soapstone and other natural and engineered materials, and the Atlantic Custom Granite & Marble team will be happy to help you find the perfect new countertop.
Want to learn more or take the next step in your remodel project?
Schedule your appointment and get started.